Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JJO

28 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  12:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are the age requirements for fall 2008 and spring 2009

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2008 :  23:25:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fall 08 and spring 09 are the same, April 30th.

It's quite simple. How old will your son or daughter be on April 30th 2009 and that's their playing age. Since most seasons begin May 1st and end April 30th the following year.... Ok, nobody begins their season May 1st. They're still playing last seasons baseball which probably started in August or September. Who knows why they chose April 30th as the cutoff. Nevertheless, if little Tommy turns 5 this month he's going to be playing 5YO ball this fall and next spring because April 30th 2008 has come and gone. He's in the 2009 season. Unless of course he hooked up with a team earlier in May in which case he'll be playing 9U through June. It's all quite confusing actually.

If you meant the age requirements for the 14U Atlanta Mustard Catchers, their age requirement is ... well 14.

This from the USSSA website...
quote:

Age Cutoff Change for 2006

The USSSA Baseball National Committee has met and discussed the numerous communications with coaches, parents, league directors and tournament directors regarding the proposed age cutoff change by USA Baseball.

After serious consideration..yada yada yada..cutoff date to May 1.... This means whatever age a player is on April 30, will be their age for the season. USSSA allows all players to play "up" in a higher age bracket.

Bla bla bla... something about pitching distances...fun and exciting atmosphere....bla bla bla...

USSSA encourages all national organizations to follow our lead.

Edited by - jay on 06/05/2008 11:48:47
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  08:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The age a player is at 12:00:00 AM on May 1st is the age the player will play at for the current Spring / Summer Season.
Go to Top of Page

JJO

28 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2008 :  10:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in regards to travel, I have "heard" that there will be a date change to January 1, as opposed to April 30. so has anyone heard, or can they verify that this is in the works? ie, my player is 12 in April 1996; therefore will need to go up to 13U as the age requirements stand currently; but if there is a change to Jan 1, can stay at 12U next year and go to Cooperstown again...
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  08:41:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard a rumor that Triple Crown Sports was going to the Jan 1 birthdate this next year. Anyone got any additional details on this?
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  11:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So what birthday would make you the oldest kid in the league and what would make you the youngest in your league. Why dont they use the same birthdate that schools use. That would fix all the confusion. Kids would play with their classmates and friends. When they get to highschool they will play with those same kids anyway..
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2008 :  22:20:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any advantage for the ''just turned age'' young guy's in their groužor are they simply destined to continue to battle the giants so to speak that have them by almost a full year?
Go to Top of Page

3sondad

220 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2008 :  02:14:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HurricaneWhy dont they use the same birthdate that schools use. That would fix all the confusion. Kids would play with their classmates and friends. When they get to highschool they will play with those same kids anyway..

Schools have a minimum age (which can be challenged, if you can show a reason for them to start early.) and there is not a maximum age for each grade. It makes sense to have the cutoff dates to be the grade (Come to think of it, basketball goes by grade not birth date.) So what is the hold up oh great baseball entities???

How about we go by birth date until you reach 7th grade? That way LL can still have their 12 year old world series. Of course, if we did that the pre-K through 6th grade feeder teams would feel left out.
Go to Top of Page

titansx11

106 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  15:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why can't usssa, triple crown or any other baseball bodies reply?
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2008 :  22:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whether it's Aug 1 May 1 or Jan 1...whomever is on the short end of the stick, will be "playing against Giants". Doubt that most kids on travel teams are playing with their school friends...my son played travel ball for 5 years and not once was another kid on his team a school friend..actually nice now that he plays for his HS, because he almost always knows and is a friend of a kid on the other team....Not sure,but besides baseball does any other Sport use May 1 as a cut off date...maybe someone who plays AAU basketball or Swimming, Tennis, Gymnastic,soccor, can address other sports age cut-offs..Jan 1 seems to be a universal date used by most international sports...I know the solicitations to spend a kizzilion dollars and have your son play in Europe,Far East etc all use Jan 1..

Edited by - SportsDad on 06/03/2008 10:48:20
Go to Top of Page

goyard

217 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  07:57:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rumor I hear for new Jan 1st birthdate is 2010 throughout
Go to Top of Page

stanlewis

545 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2008 :  13:06:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
USA Baseball has a committee that is comprised of representatives from all of the major sanctioning organizations. This committee debates and votes on items that are generally accepted by the entire baseball community. While organizations are not bound to follow these positions, it would be very confusing to have different major rules, like dates, different by organization so they fall in line. If you remember when the date was changed to May 1st, USSSA came out with a statement that they were going to review this independently before they made a decision and I think abstained when the majority of the committee voted to change the date. But, when everyone else said they were going to the new date, they did likewise. I was told that there was serious debate to go to January 1st and May 1st was a compromise. International baseball uses January 1st and players on the Junior National teams are selected based upon age as of January 1st.

I will be shocked if January 1st does not become the date at some point in the future.
Go to Top of Page

titansx11

106 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  00:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PONY Baseball Age Cutoff Press Release- ( 3/30/2006) 2007 PONY League Age Key Chart - Click Here >>>

"PONY Baseball and Softball announced today that after considerable discussion and deliberation, their Board of Directors has voted to use the April 30th age determination date for its baseball programs for 2007, 2008 and 2009. Starting in 2010 PONY shall change to December 31 along with other innovative changes to better the rogram. There will be no change in the date for PONY Girls Softball."

Will USSSA, Triple Crown, USTBA etc.make this change in 09 or follow in 2010? If you notice they annouced the change in 06 for the 07 season, so if they were going to use Dec 31 you would think they would have said so two months ago. Its kind of hard to build a team when your not sure which age to play. I guess you go with what is now and worry about it if it chages.
Go to Top of Page

tarsajuma

7 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2008 :  15:16:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is not good news!!!! This will cause a bigger spilt between grades. It seemed better when the cut-off date was July 31st. This kept most all of the kids in the same grade on their teams.
Go to Top of Page

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  09:15:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If keeping kids together in the same grade is/was that important,why not just base eligibilty on what current grade a child is in..Now I'm sure there would be just as many squabbles with "hey that 6th grader on the other team is "old"/unfair/etc.because he was held back 1/2 grades...but than again, shouldn't he be allowed to play with his classmates?? When he goes to HS and is a 16 year old freshman, he get four years of elegibilty...whatever is used as a cut-off date, I'm sure people will judge it based on whether they perceive it helps/hurts their own child...I would guess to say, the parents of kids born after June 1st,before August 1, weren't neccasaarly in favor of the last change...Just like if it was move to Jan 1, the parents of kids born in Jan,Feb,March, just might think it's a great idea...
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  10:41:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
USA Baseball has been pushing for January 1 since at least 2003. There is no uniform date for schools, so by grade is just as useless, and if you have been part of Middle School football, I had a 7th grade teams with kids eligible to play 11U - 14U. Yea, that's a good way to break it up.

Go to Top of Page

jay

177 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2008 :  13:31:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If we're teaching "life lessons" in addition to baseball (which I'm all for btw) why would we want to use school grade? I want my kids to experience playing with more mature players in addition to higher level competition. All within limits for the Loma Linda crowd. :)
Go to Top of Page

humanitarian2112

11 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  01:31:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan 1 is the international standard. Think blue helmets and unmarked black helicopters if you wish; the intent is to make USA 16u teams more competitive with the rest of the world.

Or I'm dumb and every other griping parent is correct.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000