General Discussion
 ankle injury
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tfb

34 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  16:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone have a recommendation on a great ankle brace. I have a High School player outfielder with a very weak left ankle. The ankle rolls occassionally - we have had X-Rays, rest, ice, therapies. We tried the neopreens, the velcros, the lace ups, taping the ankle - everythying you can find at a sports store.
Player bats/throws right - the left ankle is the problem.
Thanks in advance

SportsDad

293 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2008 :  23:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you had him check to see if his arch in his left foot has collapsed? My son was "twisting" his ankle, ever game, and after going through what sounds like you went through, we discovered his left arch had totally collapse. Took him to a podiatist and had a cast made for a lightweight metal arch support. 300 bucks later and he wears it everyday..not one ankle problem.. The doc said that the arch support would stabilize the ankle, and it seems to have worked...
Go to Top of Page

13U NWBA Director

12 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2008 :  15:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it is his ankle, McDavid has a lace up and cross strap ankle brace that gives great support. The cost is about $25 per brace.
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  07:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ankle strengthening exercises help as well. I can't remember all of them but, here is one. Hope on one leg forward, backward, and side to side. Switch legs and repeat. Perhaps another blogger can come come up with more.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2008 :  10:53:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree with 13U NWBA Director. I have two of those braces that I used to wear and there is no possible way to turn your ankle over with it. It laces up, has cross straps that go under the arch of the foot and velcro on the sides, then has a neoprene strap at the top that velcros around the top of the cross straps to keep them from coming loose. The thing you give up is the flexibility of the ankle in running and side to side movement, but that may be the least of your worries when compared to turning it over all the time.

As biged said, though, ankle strengthening exercises need to go along with this as well. If not, wearing a support will allow the ankle to keep getting weaker and weaker. Don't let a short term fix create a long term problem.
Go to Top of Page

Jr Longhorns

46 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  00:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have an ankle with an old injury - and I still roll it occassionally, just from a small rock. Not much I can do with it. Used to tape it when I was playing and doing something strenuous. But cumbersome and nobody knows how to tape anymore. My son had same problem and he used one of the lace-up supports with good results.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000