Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NWBA Forums
 General Discussion
 Catchers Mask/Helmet do you pull it off ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  14:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the new hockey style catchers masks, do you leave them on for pass balls and pop flys or rip them off like they used too?

FearAD

59 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  21:50:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are designed to remain on.

I wish catchers would keep them on especially on plays at the plate.
Go to Top of Page

greglomax

1031 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2008 :  22:24:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I always coach my catchers to leave their mask on unless it is a popup above home plate. With the new style helmets, if you can't see with it on, the helmet is not your problem. I have seen too many balls take a bad bounce on a play coming home, or the sun be setting over the outfield and the player lose the ball, and the catcher get hit in the head. It was completely avoidable with leaving the helmet on.
Go to Top of Page

toprank

138 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2008 :  08:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I have been reading and or researching I think the new hockey style masks are better with visibility and peripheral vision so I would leave the mask on in every situation except pop fly to the catcher. Number one it's probably safer to leave the mask on for a play at the plate, if you can catch a pitch from a pitcher with it on, you can catch a throw from the OF or relay from IF. Pass balls there is potential for a collision at the plate so better to be safe than sorry, leave it on. Kids teeth, eyes, nose are more important than an out. Definately make the catcher wear the mask during warmups and anytime he is throwing and catching in infield etc. and he will be more comfortable in the game.

Edited by - toprank on 04/22/2008 08:35:47
Go to Top of Page

BREAMKING

323 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2008 :  11:35:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have personally seen a kid sustain major injury at the plate with the mask off. This was years ago and the kid did not have his helmet on for a play at the plate and got caught just right and had to have some major surgeries from the injury. I would leave on except for pop ups. Definitely on for plays at the plate.
Go to Top of Page

jska

36 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2008 :  14:14:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would agree with the posts saying to keep mask on. In addition, below the age of 13 when pop ups tend to not be very high, my son was coached to keep it on because there's not much time to get it off and then find the ball.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000