Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  09:10:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hurricane

I doubt any kid at 16 or 17 year old wants to go out and throw with dad, unless it's just for the sake of dad. They rather go out with a team mate and throw or workout. Most kids would rather their parents not show up so they don't have to hear about something they did in the game or have to worry about not being themselves in a game or letting the F bomb fly or something.
I think it's "nothing in the world like playing catch with your son" not the other way around.

I guess I wasn't clear or you misunderstood my point. The initial question was about "burnout" etc. I was offering, perhaps another reason as to why kids lose interest and walk away from the game. Could it be that the kids perspective is that it's not as important or as exciting to his parents so therefor he's not as fired up about it or passionate about it ?

Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  13:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it could be a reason. Maybe they think it's not that important anymore to their parents shouldn't be that important to them.

Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  14:34:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So how do you successfully transition from the fun ages:8u to 12u, to the competative ages: High school and beyond? Many people on here say 12u is the last fun year. I think for the kids still playing after that, it has to still be fun, but it is also a lot more effort. Also, the kids have to give up more other choices as they get older to stay in baseball. How do you make that transition?
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  16:34:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the game needs to remain fun forever. I just think as the kids get older, they just need to work on taking it a little more seriously. You need to look at what tournaments you get into. You need to be aware that there are decision makers watching. Every outing, you need to go all out and hustle with everything you do. You can't have a crappy or defeatist attitude when something doesn't go your way. Our summer vacations have been baseball trips for as long as I can remember. Up until 14, they were fun trips to Myrtle Beach and Panama City. Starting at 15, they were more serious trips to Ft. Myers and Perfect Game events. We stopped going to USSSA events and started going to showcases at colleges.

I think it can be fun up till 14. At 15-18, you are looking towards Varsity and making it to the next level. Never let the fun go away. But the focus must change and realize that you are playing for a reason. I'm sure others will add more, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Corbin

523 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  18:00:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My oldest son is now in college and has always enjoyed playing. Anyone that says it isn't fun after 12 needs to get a reality check. Does it require more work after that age, absolutely. But at the end of the day it is a GAME! If you are not having fun what is the point? Do they miss out on some things...yes they do. But they get to experience other things that not that many other people get to. I love the quote "Its supposed to be hard, if it wasn't everyone would do it. The hard is what makes it great". - Tom Hanks (A League of Their Own). Some people are ok with setting their priorities up around their school, practice, throwing, church, jobs ect..... And some just want to hang with their friends. Some kids will really surprise you the directions they take. Either way enjoy the ride while it lasts! It will be over before you know it.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  19:46:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DecaturDad

So how do you successfully transition from the fun ages:8u to 12u, to the competative ages: High school and beyond? Many people on here say 12u is the last fun year. I think for the kids still playing after that, it has to still be fun, but it is also a lot more effort. Also, the kids have to give up more other choices as they get older to stay in baseball. How do you make that transition?

I thought it was going to be less fun once they got to the big field. I was dead wrong. It's actually more fun. And more work.

We didn't really have a "transition". His goal since he was about 8 or 9 was to make the High School team.
Go to Top of Page

ec1

40 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2011 :  20:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by a1prog

I think it starts after age 12. at that point travel ball is gearing up to get kids ready for high school. as bases gravitate to 60/90 it is true that the game slows- but the practice intensity and working out to prep for high school rises significantly (at least it should on a well coached team). some kids dont want to put the time in. thats ok.

then when a kid gets to high school its not about competing with your specific age group for a slot. its about competing with kids older and as you rise younger. the competiton level heats up. and lo and behold we find that many a high school coach is a real jackass in terms of how they treat the kids. some kids make it and some dont. some of those that do not get enough pt simply choose to walk away. the time spent in practice and working out (generally year round) isnt worth what they get out of it. again- nothing wrong with making that call.

as high school kids get older multiple things occur and the "two fumes" can be a tremendous influencer; perfume and car fumes. yeah that can get to some kids. priorities change for some kids. in addition, some kids walk because they want to play college baseball and maybe they dont see that happening so they question the time and effort being put in. bballman and i have known each other for years and our sons have played together for 4 years now on the same summer team (congrats to bballman's son, little bball, on his college signing). this fall we have seen some kids drop from summer ball because playing in college, for whatever the reason, simply dropped off their radar. and these are good ballplayers who have been and will continue to be varsity starters at 5A programs.

i dont know that there are any specific "warning signs". but i do know this- no way should a kid be playing 80-100 games a year. i have always said and will maintain that travel ball can burn a kid because they play way too much. how can anyone expect a pre high school and high school kid to play as many games, or more, as a collegiate athlete. its absurd. so my best advice is this- dont play too late into the summer prior to age 16/17. take 4-6 weeks OFF at the end of the summer. work out easily if at all during the fall (until you get to 16/17 and then going to showcase type events and camps becomes a big deal if your son wants to play in college).

may be some points folks disagree with here but these are my experiences as a dad and former coach.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000