General Discussion
 Why do coaches call pitches so much?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

campo

5 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  20:35:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why in the young age groups coaches are always calling pitches. Not only the pitch but the location. I may be old school but aren't we turning the catchers into robots. How are they going to learn to think behind the plate?

I was watching a u-11 game recently in which the hitter was stepping out. On a 2-2 count the coach called for an inside fastball, which was crushed down the line for a double. If the catcher had been taught little things to look for he would have called for an outside fastball and would have gotten strike three or a weak gb.

I've seen this activity since I started in U-9 several years ago. How many pitches does a U-9 pitcher have? Not to mention being able to spot it.

I can understand it more in the older levels but I still think the pitcher should have the ability to shake off a sign if he feels strongly about a certain pitch.

OK, I'm done complaining, but I would like to know why it is so prevalent in the younger groups.

WestCoastGuru

148 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2011 :  22:36:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a coach in younger age groups, we teach our pitchers and catchers that the most important pitch is strike one....until a kid has shown them that they are able to rip your first pitch fast ball, that's what you throw first, every time! Just like every team out there, there are pitchers in a team's rotation that are power pitchers, control pitchers, and effectively wild pitchers....but do you really think that most 9 year olds know what there strengths are, little alone what batter strengths are and who might be susceptible to change ups? I feel that this is a part of the game, at a young age level that you talk to your catcher and pitcher after a productive inning and get them thinking of why we throw a high fastball or low and away(at the eye level or have the catcher move a foot off the plate).

At the younger age groups its fastball and changeups for the most part....although I have seen a lot of curve balls from certain teams at 10 years old in the fall this year?!?!?!?!?

Is it conceivable to think that a kid is able to hit a spot? Yes......but probably only 1/3 of the time.

But really.....I still see managers at the pro level calling pitches, with veteran pitchers on the mound!

Ultimately, you don't want your battery getting cute and throwing too many changeups and getting hammered all over the field. It's a gradual process for a catcher to learn how to read batters and how they set up at the plate and what deficiencies to look for.

Good topic and that's just my .02
Go to Top of Page

stafcoach8

20 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:37:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part of "coaching" is teaching the players how to call a game. The better teams in the upper age groups call the game from the field, not the bucket. If the pitcher doesn't agree with the call he will be more likely to make a mistake. Most players that have been playing travel ball for a long time know one another better than a coach does anyway. Calling signals from the dugout also takes away from the pace of the game. Just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2011 :  09:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think there is an absolute must time for this to occur as much as it is a when and why - it happens when and if they exhibit the knowledge and skill to so do - it is like everything else when it comes to developing a player. If they have a high baseball IQ, then it happens sooner.

It's not so much about the number of pitches a pitcher has as it is the situation (batter, game situation,runner situation, count) or why you throw a certain pitch or location in a certain situation - when a catcher can grasp that, and he understands his pitchers nuances, then he is ready to call the games.

Some food for thought - travel ball coaches call pitches... high school coaches call pitches... Some college coaches call pitches...
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  14:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most 9u pitchers are up there just throwing the ball. Just throwing strikes isn't good enough. Kids these days hit the ball and do it well!
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2011 :  21:41:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust and coaching or coaches trusting. From a trust perspective the problem is they typically don't coach catchers. Catchers go elsewhere for coaching, private or clinics. Their abilities are out of sight as they arrive on the practice field and shag balls for the coach. With coaching and time scarce the concentration is pitching so the catcher gets the short end all the way around.

Slightly off topic but I've got to get it out...
If a coach wonders why they don't get the marginal pitches while their opponent gets the same pitch called a strike. Look at your catcher. A good catcher can make a mediocre pitcher effective, a mediocre catcher can make a great pitcher ineffective. Spend some time with your catchers, build trust, teach your catcher the game and see what they can do for your pitching.
Go to Top of Page

biged

198 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2011 :  21:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Campo, I may be reading into this a bit too much, but............If I were the coach in an 11u game with a 2-2 count, I may have called an inside fastball as well. However, it would not have been for a strike. If he misses, it would be full and the batter would be off the plate. If he hits him, well, that is part of the game and the next time the batter will be off the plate (next batters too) which will make the outside fastball more effective. Pitchers MUST learn to throw inside if they are to ever become effective. Conversely, hitters must learn to hit away.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 10/31/2011 :  09:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sort of agree with biged on this one- and a call can be screwed up by the coach or the catcher in this situation..

Was the kid stepping out with a late swing, does the pitchers ball break inside or out, was the catcher set up over the middle? What did the kid do in previous at bats, does the coach know the hitter well, was the location missed - was that pitch a set up to get him off the plate for an outside pitch? Was the pitcher missing his spots, does the catcher not block balls outside well, was there runners on and a past ball scores a run - lots of variables to consider..
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000