General Discussion
 Pitching drills without a catcher
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  13:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A question for some of you with older pitchers: Does your son practice pitching or do pitching drills by himself? My son is past the point skill wise where I can catch him any more. I have debated getting a HS catcher to come over once a week or so and catch him. But other then that, what do you do? He really wants to focus on pitching this fall.

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  14:19:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only other alternative is to get one of the pop-ups that have the image of the catcher, with the square in the middle, and let him take a bucket of balls and throw into that. He can see where the pitches go and it gives him a way to work without anyone there with him.

Here is a link to one that has different location spots for him to aim for:
http://www.palossports.com/store/proddetail.cfm/ItemID/5986/CategoryID/17/SubCatID/194/file.htm

Here is another basic one with the square target in the middle:
http://www.betterbaseball.com/browse.cfm/easton-pop-up-pitchers-target/4,201.html

Here is one that has a collection bag for the balls:
http://www.baseballexp.com/Baseball-Training-Aids/Screens-Nets/Franklin-Sr-Size-Pop-Up-Pitchers-Target-/baseball/lev/6/productId/1424/Nty/1/Ns/CATEGORY_SEQ_69%7C0/Ne/31/parentCatId/69/N/33+36+1100061/view/34/index.pro

Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

dmb350

135 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 suggestions for you

1. I take my son to the field, set up 3 tall orange cones (one on each side of the plate and one on the plate and he pitches to the gaps between the cones. It basically creates a 6-8 inch gap just at the edge of the plate which is where he wants to stay. If he hits one we just stand it back up again. 3 tall cones, bucket of balls and a mound and your set for accuracy training.

2. Probably more useful, get him a pitching coach. Someone outside your team and let them work once a week on his mechanics. He'll have someone to catch him and to help correct any flaws he may have before they get out if hand.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2011 :  15:51:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks. He does go to a pitching coach. I am looking for between lessons workouts. Something he could do one or two evenings a week. I have thought about the pop ups, but I was not sure how well they worked. (
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  08:52:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one of the pop-ups and they work fine. You typically need to have something a little heavier to weight the back section down other than the little stakes that come with it, but usually a block or a bucket of balls does the trick. It is an inexpensive option.
Go to Top of Page

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  09:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best pitching drill I have used is i put a batting T - preferrably on of the skinny ones like tanner t can be raised and lowered in front of a hitting net with a ball on the tell. We move it all around the strike zone at different elevations and son goal is to his the ball off the T with direct contact of the ball. Works great for working on pitching accuracy. Especially when working on off speed pitches.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2011 :  12:37:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
.. my experience is that its well worth the $$ and time to arrange for a catcher of same age group to receive the pitches .. throwing to a net is better than not throwing at all but not by much .. even a pitching lesson without a catcher imo devalues the session ; both hitting a specific target / the glove such as when it counts in a game , plus working on mechanics can be accomplished by having a live catcher...once a week with the catcher is enough either in or out of season, maybe twice if the second session is light and he will be pitching a game that week . . the Pitchers Plate emphasizing both hitting the corners and then just off the plate is a great tool ,and more effective than the stationary batter - most sporting goods stores carry these ..
Go to Top of Page

jongamefan

218 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  09:21:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1

.. my experience is that its well worth the $$ and time to arrange for a catcher of same age group to receive the pitches .. throwing to a net is better than not throwing at all but not by much .. even a pitching lesson without a catcher imo devalues the session ; both hitting a specific target / the glove such as when it counts in a game , plus working on mechanics can be accomplished by having a live catcher...once a week with the catcher is enough either in or out of season, maybe twice if the second session is light and he will be pitching a game that week . . the Pitchers Plate emphasizing both hitting the corners and then just off the plate is a great tool ,and more effective than the stationary batter - most sporting goods stores carry these ..

BASE: I agree your shortchanged paying for a pitch lesson when there is no catcher except netting

The other ideas with cones and all are fine but the games are played with a catcher so the pitch practices should be too !
Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2011 :  10:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1

Having a son that's a catcher - I agree. He's always on the lookout for a workout to help him. Unfortunately in practices, he just doesn't get enough drill work. If you look at it as a workout for both pitcher and catcher -would be beneficial for both. I wouldn't even think money is needed if you are working out both positions. If the catcher is there solely for the benefit of the pitcher may think differently! LOL!
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Old School

314 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  09:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think everyone agrees that having a catcher is best, but the discussion was around, what other options are available when that is not possible. There is a lot of difference between throwing to a net, and throwing to a pop-up target designed to provide targets to hit. That is A LOT better than not throwing at all.
Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2011 :  10:12:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Old school.

For us, being able to go in the back yard and throw a bit versus not throwing at all is the real issue. Sure, he gets regular pitching instruction, and occationally manages to find a catcher. But for all those days when the homework is finished, and we find ourselves with some spare time, I wanted something. All the comments have been great.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Old School

I think everyone agrees that having a catcher is best, but the discussion was around, what other options are available when that is not possible. There is a lot of difference between throwing to a net, and throwing to a pop-up target designed to provide targets to hit. That is A LOT better than not throwing at all.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000