General Discussion
 Football & Baseball
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TS55

9 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  09:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just how much baseball is your football player playing Mine's playing JV and Varsity football with a little Baseball mixed in, maybe one or two tournaments this fall. How are ya'll handling it?

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  12:31:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mine is doing the same playing football w/ 3-5 baseball tournaments for fall and he's already begun his individual workouts for wrestling on top of the football & baseball. I'm getting tired just thinking about it !
Go to Top of Page

PMaggio

11 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  15:35:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing beats Friday Night Lights in Georgia. However, it gets tougher and tougher each year as they get older (physically, mentally and schoolwork wise). My son is a HS junior and this is his first year not playing fall baseball and just football. He is the only one on his 2012 summer team who plays football but the coach is understanding and supports it. Actually you will find that most college coaches actually encourage kids to play a different fall sport and take a few months off to rest the baseball muscles. While fall baseball college camps, showcases and Jupiter are big events where HS players can make their name known, playing in all the ECB tournaments this summer with every college coach already in attendance offsets the impact of not playing in the fall.

That being said, there still is the risk of getting hurt playing football, but as the kids get bigger, the risk is still there in baseball as well.
Go to Top of Page

aj94

182 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  15:49:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Football along with fall baseball (5-6 tourneys)
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2011 :  18:45:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1 sport at a time. I used to hate it when players would either a) miss practice or b) come to a game or practice beat because they were doing Spring football. I didn't ask them to miss football in the fall for baseball. Or to play a game the same day they had football games. It would have been nice to get the same courtesy,

Now that I am not coaching, I would be a hypocrite if I did the same to his current coaches. Plus kids need some down time between their studies and their sports.
Go to Top of Page

itsagame

5 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  14:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my son is a Freshman playing on the Freshman football team. He is not playing fall baseball, but does have a practice 1x per week (at this point) with his travel team.

I like the mulitple sports approach and I know my son enjoys the change of scenery.
Go to Top of Page

Strike 2

61 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2011 :  19:17:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree with AllStar. This is first year (15) that we finally are doing one sport at a time. So football it is until basketball rolls around.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000