General Discussion
 Sports other than baseball
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  11:31:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about the kid that just doesn't want to play other sports? As he is getting older - we are hearing coaches talk about other sports and highly, highly suggesting it. Ours just loves baseball and only wants to play baseball. Tried football - injured and he worried it would affect his baseball. Also didn't like getting hit. Basketball - interferes with his skiing in the winter. Lacrosse - he said no thank you. Likes to run but track is in the spring. Golf? cool - (for mom and dad anyway that like to play.)

We get that he needs baseball breaks but he doesn't want the break. Eat, lives breathes baseball.

What is a parent to do???

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  14:23:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just let him play baseball. You really can't force him to do something he doesn't want to do. My son played one year of football in 7th grade, decided he didn't like it. Other than that, has only played baseball. He is going into his senior year of high school, still plays baseball and wants to and has a very good chance of playing at the next level. After a full HS schedule and playing every weekend (everyday for the last 3 weeks) over the summer, he feels his body needs a break, but is still excited about starting things up again.

If your kids want to play other sports, nothing wrong with that, but if he just wants to play baseball, I don't think there is anything wrong with that either. Just make sure he gets some break between seasons and let him be a kid.
Go to Top of Page

M. Bare

26 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  15:03:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As bballman said there is nothing wrong with only wanting to play one sport, although what you are probably seeing is most of his friends play several sports. If you are just wanting him to do something besides baseball and he likes to run he can do that on his own, he doesn't need to run track or he could do cross country which is a fall sport. Swimming is also a great form of exercise and low impact on the body.
Go to Top of Page

dmb350

135 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  22:52:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good topic. My son is a one sport kid too. He starts HS this year. He loves other sports for just goofing around (football, basketball) but baseball is his thing. If you asked him right now what he wants to do, play HS, go to a D1 college program, then go pro. He could care less about the "odds" or his "chances" he just wants to play baseball as long as possible and as a parent it's my job to make sure he has his best opportunity to make it happen.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 07/31/2011 :  22:59:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbmom2

What about the kid that just doesn't want to play other sports? As he is getting older - we are hearing coaches talk about other sports and highly, highly suggesting it. Ours just loves baseball and only wants to play baseball. Tried football - injured and he worried it would affect his baseball. Also didn't like getting hit. Basketball - interferes with his skiing in the winter. Lacrosse - he said no thank you. Likes to run but track is in the spring. Golf? cool - (for mom and dad anyway that like to play.)

We get that he needs baseball breaks but he doesn't want the break. Eat, lives breathes baseball.

I've been telling my son since he was 8 that he would probably love football but guess what, that would interfere with Fall baseball. He plays rec basketball most winters, but he has some pretty high baseball goals in the Spring, so he may just referee basketball at the church league and prep for the Spring tryouts.

Let him do what he wants as long as it is something constructive.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  17:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish I only played one sport growing up. Is be in a better place!!!
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  15:37:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Give the kid a choice. If he chooses baseball over others, don't push him away - let him play until he decides he is done. My son has played soccer, baseball, basketball, hockey, you name it. We ask him every year ,and every year its the same - baseball in the spring and the fall, and basketball in the winter. The seasons allow it, and as long as he is not being asked to overthrow, I have no problems with it.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2011 :  17:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbmom2

You said skiing in the winter, that is a sport. Sounds like he wants to play other sports and is. Play only baseball and eventually he will get tired and take a break or his body will tell him too. Not saying burn out but as he gets older things will change. Cars, Girls, baseball games with no fans.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000