General Discussion
 Travel Team Costs
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jakespop

19 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  19:24:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 10U son has been through a few tryouts recently and has been fortunate to be approached by 2 teams in the East Cobb / Marietta / Alpharetta area.

This would be our first jump to travel (moving up from Rec / Select).

I know that travel team costs can vary but I am trying to get a ballpark average for what a team should cost. The reason I am asking is because there is a big discrepancy between the 2 from a cost perspective.
Team 1 states ~$1500 -$1700
Team 2 states ~ $3500-$4100

Both teams state they will have light winter workouts, 2- 3 tournaments and try to play ~15-20 in the spring. Include uniforms, bat bags, helmets etc.

Can anyone share their experiences and avg costs?

Thanks in advance

cubs12

14 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  19:57:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you only referencing team fees or overall cost. Dont forget to factor in travel fees. These are some additional cost you should consider. Hotel and or condo fees, food, flights, gas, missed work days for week long tournaments, private hitting lessons, tournament passes, bats(we usually buy 2 as season depending on how well they hold up) extra set of cleats (if kid is going through growth spurt), extra pants (holes from sliding). We probably spend close to 7-8 grand a year. World series week alone spent 1500 for condo, 800 for flights, 400 rental car plus food.
Go to Top of Page

coachdoug

50 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  19:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1 seems in line (we were $1500 at 10U, with first $200 to our park - 30% went to uniforms and 30% went to instruction/facility rental), #2 seems very high so I'd assume paid coaches, facility/field rental or other baked in costs like instruction for that one.

Just ask for their budgets so you can compare apples to apples. 15-20 tournaments seems like a TON to me at 10U, we did 10 / 60 games and that was probably too much for our first year team. Playing at high AAA/Major/Elite may increase things some, but I have no experience at that level.

Doug
Go to Top of Page

cubs12

14 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  20:02:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention that good fundraising can offset these cost. All of it is worth every penny if your kid enjoys it!
Go to Top of Page

Mets69

70 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  21:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For my sons team (ECB affiliated), here's the breakdown;

ECB Tryout Clinic: $100
ECB Player Registration: $175
Reebok Shoes/Cleats: $155 (ECB Required Purchase)
Batting Gloves: $60 (ECB Required Purchase)
Team Uniforms, Sweats, Shorts, Bat Bag, Helmet, etc.: $450
Tournament Fees: ~$40 per player x 15 tournaments = $600
Team Fees for Facility Rentals, Balls, Guest Instructors, etc. = $400

All totaled, it adds up to about $2000 per player.

If you have paid coaches, then costs will be higher.

If you add travel costs for out-of-town tourneys, then things are really starting to get expensive.

Go to Top of Page

dmb350

135 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  23:55:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son's (14U Majors/Elite) team this year was $2500 for the team cost. That included 3 professional paid coaches (all former Pros and NO dads) 16 private lessons in batting or pitching and all uniforms, bags, helmets, ect.... Parents supplied the spikes, batting gloves and gate fees (lol). BUT, factor in travel costs, hotels, food and we came in around $4-5K.

Sounds like team 2 is a little high. My son played 2 seasons and Fall last year at ECB and other than the Astros orthe Titans (13 or 14U) there isn't another team over there that should cost $4-5K just for the team cost.
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  10:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't share NC expenses because it is not apples to apples (we are much lower than what is being quoted here), but I will say this - If you've never played travel ball before, you might want to reconsider 15-20 tournaments... There are 22 weekends from March until the end of July... just saying... That's a lot of baseball for a first step into travel ball.
Go to Top of Page

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2011 :  12:25:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At 10U our team played 2 weekends on, 1 weekend off. This past year at 11U we tried to play 3 weekends on, 1 weekend off.

Gotta say that I thought it really worked well - enough baseball to compete, but also time built in for;
Practice (they need the reps!) + time to implement more components of the game
Time to get away - for both the kids and the parents too ;-)

Agree with ramman999 here, know of teams that played like 10+ weeks in a row and the kids/families thought it was a little much. Kids still need time to be kids, and if ya play tourney's every weekend - how much time do they have to learn and improve?
Go to Top of Page

bbmom2

119 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  09:07:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From a business manager perspective, when I did budget I figured based on per player -
$500 for uniform, bat bag, helmet,hats,jackets and coaches uniforms (we actually came in way below this)
$100 per player for incidentals - all the necessary stuff for running a travel team - team insurance, banking, Calling Post (although if everyone on the team texts, you can save this charge - Free!)
$150 per player for batting cages, baseballs, scrimmage umps, baseball miscellaneous.
The balance - figure $40 - $50 per tournament per kid - maybe a little less if the team carries more than 12 players or a little more if they carry 11 - tournaments have gotten so expensive that $400 - $500 per tournament is about normal (and that includes baseballs for the tournament - except USSSA most tournaments the teams provide the baseballs) If the team says they will play in 20 tournaments - that is an extra $1000 in tournament fees alone per player.

Again, these are very rough estimates but will give you a ballpark. We did not have paid coaches so that could also change the equation. Bottom line, there are teams for every budget imaginable. You will see some teams in totally custom uniforms from the custom jersey to the custom pants with matching trim. Then you will see some in Tee Shirts with gray pants. Then others where all the shoes and gloves match (ECB.)

Ask questions and make sure you get answers that you can live with.... and beware of teams that say they will totally fundraise. That is hard to do and you will have some parents that work fingers to the bone for the team and others that let group 1 do all the work. This can build resentment quickly - prepare to write the check yourself... speaking from experience here!
Go to Top of Page

whits23

596 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  13:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had a kid in younger travel ball for years and also coached. Last year we did 16 tournaments at 1k per kid..that was fall and spring..I can tell you for a fact, matching,helmets, ball bags etc wont make you play any better and years from now you will be throwing them all out. 2 shirts a pair of pants and a hat will cost about $125 per family and last all year.

Older kids will pay for coaching and showcase events etc..I would make whoever i play for discolse the entire budget to each parent and no one plays for free
Go to Top of Page

travelin

6 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  14:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whits23

I had a kid in younger travel ball for years and also coached. Last year we did 16 tournaments at 1k per kid..that was fall and spring..I can tell you for a fact, matching,helmets, ball bags etc wont make you play any better and years from now you will be throwing them all out. 2 shirts a pair of pants and a hat will cost about $125 per family and last all year.

Older kids will pay for coaching and showcase events etc..I would make whoever i play for discolse the entire budget to each parent and no one plays for free

Come on dad, can we at least have 2-3 pairs of pants?
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  14:59:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bbmom2

From a business manager perspective, when I did budget I figured based on per player -
$500 for uniform, bat bag, helmet,hats,jackets and coaches uniforms (we actually came in way below this)
$100 per player for incidentals - all the necessary stuff for running a travel team - team insurance, banking, Calling Post (although if everyone on the team texts, you can save this charge - Free!)
$150 per player for batting cages, baseballs, scrimmage umps, baseball miscellaneous.
The balance - figure $40 - $50 per tournament per kid - maybe a little less if the team carries more than 12 players or a little more if they carry 11 - tournaments have gotten so expensive that $400 - $500 per tournament is about normal (and that includes baseballs for the tournament - except USSSA most tournaments the teams provide the baseballs) If the team says they will play in 20 tournaments - that is an extra $1000 in tournament fees alone per player.

Again, these are very rough estimates but will give you a ballpark. We did not have paid coaches so that could also change the equation. Bottom line, there are teams for every budget imaginable. You will see some teams in totally custom uniforms from the custom jersey to the custom pants with matching trim. Then you will see some in Tee Shirts with gray pants. Then others where all the shoes and gloves match (ECB.)

Ask questions and make sure you get answers that you can live with.... and beware of teams that say they will totally fundraise. That is hard to do and you will have some parents that work fingers to the bone for the team and others that let group 1 do all the work. This can build resentment quickly - prepare to write the check yourself... speaking from experience here!

Yay!!! bbmom2 for President!! Well done!!
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  15:12:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by travelin

quote:

Come on dad, can we at least have 2-3 pairs of pants?

You know you need at least 2 pair right? If you don't believe me, ask your wife!! She doesn't want to stay up until 2 AM washing the solo pair of pants for the Sunday 8AM game.

Besides, 60 games calls for minimum 2 pair just to spread the abuse around. Frankly, I like 3. One for Friday, one for Saturday and one for Sunday. Laundry gets done on Monday when you are back at home and not having to scrounge for quarters.

We get our pants online for around $15 apiece, they look good, wear well and nobody cares when they get ripped.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2011 :  23:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[..I would make whoever i play for discolse the entire budget to each parent and no one plays for free

You Bet ! Some may be surprised at teams refusal to disclose a budget - usually done to conceal who and how many are in fact playing for free ; a.k.a. living off other families wallets .
Go to Top of Page

ramman999

241 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  09:38:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit You know you need at least 2 pair right? If you don't believe me, ask your wife!! She doesn't want to stay up until 2 AM washing the solo pair of pants for the Sunday 8AM game.

2 pairs of each color minimum!!!

I actually prefer it when the team does not include pants or cleats - My son plays hard, and 1 pair of pants wouldn't last 3 tournaments, plus he grows like a weed. We started the spring in medium pants and a size 5 and ended the season in larges and a 6 1/2!
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  10:18:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1

quote:
[..I would make whoever i play for discolse the entire budget to each parent and no one plays for free

You Bet ! Some may be surprised at teams refusal to disclose a budget - usually done to conceal who and how many are in fact playing for free ; a.k.a. living off other families wallets .

Let's not start a riot. Sometimes numbers don't get disclosed because a benefactor wants to remain anonymous. I know some recent people who would be surprised that somebody was picking up part of THEIR tab.

If you think you're getting hosed, do some research. Most newbie parents (and unfortunately some that have been around a while) have no idea what it takes to get it all done.
Go to Top of Page

With-a-stick

33 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  13:18:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our family has been involved in teams where there have been "sponsored" players, sometimes unknowingly the team carries a particular player through some tough family times. A poor economy, broken families all leave many innocent victims without support. I don't like a free ride any more than the next parent but there can be some cases where the team is the only solid ground. Where a player feels safe. Please don't judge too harshly or too quickly, sometimes folks just need a break and if it means their child can play ball with a sound, strong team... you make a hard choice to accept such charity in the spirit it's given. My Dad would pick up a troubled kid and take him to Scouts with us every week. It was routine after a while, I asked why many years later? He told me it was probably the only time this kid felt safe, I had no idea. Stay open to these opportunities to help our kids.
Go to Top of Page

kaytrishjr

45 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  15:10:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:

quote:

Let's not start a riot. Sometimes numbers don't get disclosed because a benefactor wants to remain anonymous. I know some recent people who would be surprised that somebody was picking up part of THEIR tab.

If you think you're getting hosed, do some research. Most newbie parents (and unfortunately some that have been around a while) have no idea what it takes to get it all done.

I believe in full disclosure in order to keep everybody honest. IMO, people pay their hard earned money and just want to know that everything is on the up and up. If nothing shady is going on, then supplying a budget and at the end of the season, an income statement showing where everything went would squash all of the questions about the handling of the money. It's just that simple.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  16:02:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kaytrishjr

quote:
Originally posted by rippit

quote:

quote:

I believe in full disclosure in order to keep everybody honest. IMO, people pay their hard earned money and just want to know that everything is on the up and up. If nothing shady is going on, then supplying a budget and at the end of the season, an income statement showing where everything went would squash all of the questions about the handling of the money. It's just that simple.

Agreed and that is what my meaning was.. if an opportunity exists to help another player or family who is down on economic circumstances then YES lets be open about it and try to help ...the problem I have and I know from experience what it takes to administer a travel team , is when players’ families not paying much if any ; they are concealed from the families that are paying and not being advised about the others , typically per a budget or accounting never being disclosed to anyone .. If there is no problem with a player being there for ‘ free ‘ then let the families decide this - not the coaches who want a kid so bad theyll ' find a way ' for him to play for little to no $ . Its the families decision - not the coaches / organization when you go past a few hundred dollars in assistance ..think of the team bank account as a trust fund that everyone owns and has an equal interest in , then how does that seem fair when without disclosure money is taken from that trust fund to support others? ...... Much different from an anonymous benefactor.
Go to Top of Page

Hiredgun

44 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2011 :  20:24:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I must say that the cost to play ball in the Atlanta area is much higher than what we are used to in south Georgia. Last season, our 13AAA team played in 14 tournaments, we had 3 jerseys, 2 pair of different style pants and 2 caps. We had 5 matching batting helmets.

We asked our parents to pay $350.00. I had private donations of $4,000.00 to add to the kitty. We did not play in a league or have instructors come to our practices. We did purchase baseballs and the team did not have matching bat bags or shoes. We had approximately $1,000 in the kitty when the season was over. This season, as a 14 major team, we asked the parents for $350.00 and I received $3,000 in private donations.

We were shocked to learn the large sums of money that people pay to play on teams in the Atlanta area. I guess it just comes with the area that you live and play in.

Just my #0.02 worth.
Go to Top of Page

CoachDad

52 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  00:20:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hiredgun

I must say that the cost to play ball in the Atlanta area is much higher than what we are used to in south Georgia. Last season, our 13AAA team played in 14 tournaments, we had 3 jerseys, 2 pair of different style pants and 2 caps. We had 5 matching batting helmets.

We asked our parents to pay $350.00. I had private donations of $4,000.00 to add to the kitty. We did not play in a league or have instructors come to our practices. We did purchase baseballs and the team did not have matching bat bags or shoes. We had approximately $1,000 in the kitty when the season was over. This season, as a 14 major team, we asked the parents for $350.00 and I received $3,000 in private donations.

We were shocked to learn the large sums of money that people pay to play on teams in the Atlanta area. I guess it just comes with the area that you live and play in.

Just my #0.02 worth.

If this was Facebook, I'd click the "like" button.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  09:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CoachDad - we need you in DC to figure out the budget issues. Great job.
Go to Top of Page

jakespop

19 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2011 :  10:35:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the feedback and great conversation
Go to Top of Page

nastycurve

244 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2011 :  16:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with Hired Gun. We were a 13u team this year and our total costs came out to about 400.00. We also had a 750.00 sponsor. We had two jerseys, two pairs of pants, 5950 pro style hats and played in 8 tournaments, 3 round robins and a host of scrimmage games for a total of about 45-50 games. All of our boys also played middle school ball, so they all played about 70 games. I think baseball is more about getting the work in and developing, not so much looking good and everyone having matching helmets.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000