General Discussion
 Transition from CP to KP
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maddux

19 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  13:49:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So we finished coach pitch yesterday and signed up for kid pitch this fall. What can I do to help my son through the transition? He will be a pitcher and play 1st base.

Shut Out

512 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  14:38:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1. Pitch him a lot of BP and hit him every time you practice at least once. Remind him even that 8 or 9 year old kids don't through as hard as you do so it won't hurt any worse than it did when you hit him.
2. Don't limit him at this age to just be pitcher and 1b. You should want him to play as many positions as possible. It will help his baseball knowledge on what should happen no matter where the ball is hit.
3. Coming from cp you may feel those are the 2 most important positions so that is where you want him. Guess what all 9 positions are equally as important and when he gets to high school chances are there will be older kids already at his key positions so the best way he can earn his way on the team is to offer a coach as much as possible. i.e. I understand you have a jr at 1st but i also pitch and play all outfeild postions. Basically give the coach so many options he realizes there is no way he can pass on your kid.. I know this is way off from what your thinking now but if he doesn't learn how to play other spots the right way while he is young he will miss the boat.

IMHO :)
Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  21:41:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full body armor? LOL! Sorry- couldn't resist. Agree with ShutOut - 8/9 is way too early to not play more positions. Every player on those teams should be playing as many positions as possible. Unless he's a big old left hander - when he's older - he will be sitting the bench waiting to pitch. Give him options and experience now everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

maddux

19 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2011 :  23:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned he is a lefty. I am sure he may get some play in the OF, but he is a really good 1st baseman

I will take him to the machine pitch. There is a 40 mph and 55 mph. I assume the 55 mph would be like pitchers in the 9 /10 year old group. I am also concerned if he needs specific protection when batting or pitching. Should I teach him to turn his back to a bad pitch inside or bail out ? These are some of the specific issues I was looking for help with as well as tips that I may have overlooked.

Thanks again for any help
Go to Top of Page

yarddog

48 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  00:05:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would teach him to turn into the pitch when he thinks he's about to get hit. What worked for my son is I would pitch to him using tennis balls and about every 7th pitched ball I would throw it at him so he could learn the proper way to get hit by the ball. After a while he felt comfortable knowing how to be hit. I think that teaching him to bail out will develop bad habits that will be hard to break especially when they start seeing the curve ball.
Go to Top of Page

gamefanatic

40 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  00:20:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Turn his back - once they start bailing it's a hard habit to break.

I'm assuming your son is 8 or 9. Way to early to pigeonhole him in a position. Boys that age need diversity and the experience of different positions. I'm sure he's an awesome first basement - our experience if a kid that age can catch the ball he's got a leg up on a lot of the other players. Do him a favor, make sure he plays other places. If he's only comfortable at first, it will be hard to put him someplace else when he's older - he will not have the experience. Unless you are going to coach him up to high school and can always put him on first base, but you aren't helping him. Some of the most successful players we've seen are versatile, utility players. Food for thought.
Go to Top of Page

rippit

667 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  06:44:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maddux

Thanks for the advice. I should have mentioned he is a lefty. I am sure he may get some play in the OF, but he is a really good 1st baseman

I will take him to the machine pitch. There is a 40 mph and 55 mph. I assume the 55 mph would be like pitchers in the 9 /10 year old group. I am also concerned if he needs specific protection when batting or pitching. Should I teach him to turn his back to a bad pitch inside or bail out ? These are some of the specific issues I was looking for help with as well as tips that I may have overlooked.

Thanks again for any help

Teach him how to turn hi back and take a pitch. Turn and tuck elbows in. Don't bail and don't raise your arms trying to stay "skinny" exposing ribs and chest. A Rawlings tattoo on the back goes away in about a week. A pitch to the ribs or worse can be dangerous.

Edited by - rippit on 07/16/2011 07:20:36
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2011 :  11:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Get him into as many spots as possible while you can. My lefty went from playing all the positions to only pitching, first and outfield once he hit kid pitch (at the travel ball level - if your boy is still playing rec you will still see lefty kids everywhere). The transition was tough and a time or two he said he wished he was a righty so he could play SS or C some. Once past that and he learned to pitch (with a nasty move to first), and he loves his role now on the team. good luck and have fun!
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  10:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As others said, get him in every position. The outfield is often overlooked by parents, but is just as important. A good outfielder can a line drive a single instead of a triple...and in the case of a RF, can easily turn a hard hit ball to them into an OUT. They are not glamarous positions...but every good team has some great outfielders. I was convinced my oldest boy was a stud 2B until he volunteered one game to go play OF. He loved it and never moved back and turned into a stud OF.

As for pitching, teach him that he is GOING to hit batters and to not worry about it. Teach him to change speeds.

As for 1B, teach him that it is ok to come off the bag to get a bad throw...dont let a bad throw give the runner an extra base.

Batting, have him hit off of a tee at every B/P and dont be afraid of taking him to that 40mph machine because he will see that speed.

Edited by - christheump on 07/18/2011 11:40:24
Go to Top of Page

maddux

19 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  14:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you think 40 mph or 55 mph would be most like travel ball 9u pitchers ?
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2011 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maddux

Do you think 40 mph or 55 mph would be most like travel ball 9u pitchers ?

Honestly, I think a 9yo is more likely to throw in the mid 40's..with some getting in the upper 40's-low 50's on ocassions.

Thats just one man's opinion and others may have some different opinions.

Edited by - christheump on 07/18/2011 16:00:02
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2011 :  12:59:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would vary the speeds as much as possible. At 9 we saw a few kids hit 60 yes 60 saw it with my on eyes on Radar at ATPP. OK only saw 2 of those all season.
Like Christheump said mid 40's to mid 50's.
Most hitters their first year struggle with stepping out and staying back. Most pitchers struggle throwing strikes.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2011 :  18:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I say visit the 40 mph machine...i was saying to dont bypass it and go to the 55....go to both.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000