Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TOPDOG

92 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  09:25:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gbo

should I start piching to him myself 1st or take him to the cage?

quote:
Originally posted by TOPDOG

quote:
Originally posted by gbo

my son is 4 and an average size kid, h just finished t-ball and im about to get him ready for coach pitch next spring, Could someone recommend a good bat to start him with when i start taking him to the cage.

the new worth 26/16 big barrell 1.15, they run about $69 bucks and if you save your reciept you can get a replacement with in a year if it dents.i have a 4yr old thats hitting ropes with it now, he will be five in november, also the cf4 or cfx 27/15 has great pop, but a little more pricey at @$130

teamsports in macon ga. has them

Go to Top of Page

rustybucket

67 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  12:15:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gbo

I always try to focus on the technique they will see in a game. That being said I ALWAYS do quite a bit of work off a Tee no matter what age. Also soft-toss and quick toss from close distance to work on mechanics.

If he's going to be in coach pitch I would try to mimic that during your hitting sessions. So try to throw the same velocity as the coach, if the coach throws overhand you should do the same, you should also try to throw from the same distance as the coach does.

But to answer your question, first use the Tee, then back off to live pitch.

To teach hitting mechanics you do it from a Tee or stationary ball. To teach timing you use a live ball situation such as machine, coach or kid pitch. IMO too many people try to teach mechanics in a live pitch situation, it's just not productive.
Go to Top of Page

gbo

4 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2011 :  21:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks alot rusty, really apprciate the tips!!! (im a football/basketball guy dont know 2 much bout this game lol)

quote:
Originally posted by rustybucket

quote:
Originally posted by gbo

I always try to focus on the technique they will see in a game. That being said I ALWAYS do quite a bit of work off a Tee no matter what age. Also soft-toss and quick toss from close distance to work on mechanics.

If he's going to be in coach pitch I would try to mimic that during your hitting sessions. So try to throw the same velocity as the coach, if the coach throws overhand you should do the same, you should also try to throw from the same distance as the coach does.

But to answer your question, first use the Tee, then back off to live pitch.

To teach hitting mechanics you do it from a Tee or stationary ball. To teach timing you use a live ball situation such as machine, coach or kid pitch. IMO too many people try to teach mechanics in a live pitch situation, it's just not productive.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000