General Discussion
 Tournament Rules Question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

baseballknowitall

17 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  11:38:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were at a tournament tied 3-3 and then time expires playing NFHS rules. What are the correct overtime rules in high school?

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2011 :  21:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have an NFHS Rule Book, but I thought in High School they just play straight up baseball. No runners placed on a base, no outs, just play.

Of course, "time expiring" and "NFHS Rules" don't really go together.

Edited by - AllStar on 06/05/2011 21:49:48
Go to Top of Page

Mad1

252 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  07:21:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In our 9AA tourney this w/e we played 4 extra innings during game in bracket play. They placed runner on second and started with nobody out. Would have gone faster, I think, without that runner on second. Game lasted 2hrs 30 minutes, 9 inning game.

Edited by - Mad1 on 06/06/2011 08:09:21
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  08:58:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mad1

In our 9AA tourney this w/e we played 4 extra innings during game in bracket play. They placed runner on second and started with nobody out. Would have gone faster, I think, without that runner on second. Game lasted 2hrs 30 minutes, 9 inning game.

I believe that is called International Rules. I think the thinking is that somebody is more likely to score and it will end more quickly. Kind of like College Football starting OT at the 25 yard line.

The original question was for High School rules, under which 15 and above tourneys are usually played. I think, but I could be wrong, that High School just plays straight up baseball, no runners, no outs like you wanted.

I'm with you. It seems that whenever we tinker with the rules for "convenience" or to "save time", unintended consequences arise.
Go to Top of Page

gatoremt

8 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2011 :  17:36:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are no overtime rules for NFHS in baseball. The rule book does not talk about time limits. That is up to the tourney or in HS the state to decide prior to the year beginning.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  14:10:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gatoremt

There are no overtime rules for NFHS in baseball. The rule book does not talk about time limits. That is up to the tourney or in HS the state to decide prior to the year beginning.

So if a tourney has an extra inning game and they claim to be playing GA HS rules, they should have just played straight up, extra inning baseball. If they were going to do something different, they should have said so in the tournament rules.

That is the challenge when you play in an independent tournament. You sometimes get a mishmash of rules, especially at 15 and up when they try to mimic High School, but then they have pitching limits and time limits.

If you're a coach and you are unsure, bring a copy of the rules and clear up any ambiguity during the pregame meeting.
Go to Top of Page

oldmanmj

191 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2011 :  16:59:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many associations may play High School rules with modifications like: limited innings pitched for certain age groups, no head first sliding, and no extra innings in pool play. You have to read the rules for exceptions for that tournament. The younger ages especially have specific tournament and association rules. Triple Crown is more protective of innings pitched, USSSA home team is highes seed in bracket play but they flip for home in the Championship round, goofy.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000