General Discussion
 Pitching and Hitting Instructors?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AdGuy15

2 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  16:13:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We recently moved to Roswell and I have a 14 year old lefty (Pitcher/1st Base) and a 10 year old righty (ss/2nd base). Can anyone recommend some good pitching instructors as well as hitting instructors that are in and around the area? We've heard of a couple of facilities but we don't know anyone by name.

Thanks in advance.

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  21:44:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chris Cumberland up in Acworth. Lefty himself and pitched in the minors for the Yankees. He speaks "kid."
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  23:04:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing but good reviews from the crew at Nineth Inning Baseball on P'ree Industrial blvd.

But you'll have lots of choices once you learn the area, but definiely check them out.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  10:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you're closer to East Cobb go see Shane Monohan for hitting and Klye Hatchell. Shane is simply the best hitting coach around and Kyle is very good also.

If you're closer to Alpharetta look into Grand Slam on Jones Bridge Rd. Aaron is great as is Doug. I don't know who the pitching instructor is there. Jm Poole used to work there but he's very difficult to schedule.
Go to Top of Page

dmb350

135 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2011 :  12:27:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
+1 on Chris Cumberland in Acworth (678) 852-8678 or chriscumberland@bellsouth.net . My son (Sunday pitcher in 14U Majors) has been with him for over a year and we couldn't be happier. He teaches how to pitch, not just mechanics but the entire mental approach. He also doesn't try to change your sons style, he only takes what he does and corrects the mechanical issues and then helps him make long term progress. Very reasonable prices too.

Hitting- go with Ben Blumethal at JCS Sports in Kennesaw. My son is on the 14U JCS Jackhammers (Ben is the head coach) and that guy knows his stuff. He is awesome with the kids too. Former Pro player also. JCS is a site sponsor so just click on the link on the right side of the page to see their website for Ben's contact info. Casey, owner of JCS is also a former pro who knows his stuff.

Edited by - dmb350 on 04/20/2011 09:07:25
Go to Top of Page

AdGuy15

2 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  12:40:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tips so far. Thanks! Does anyone know anything about Windward Baseball Academy or East Cobb Sports-a-rama? Do either of them have good pitching and/or hitting instruction?
Thanks again for the help.
Go to Top of Page

Sports A Rama EC

142 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  14:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello "AdGuy15",

Come see us at Sports A Rama, in East Cobb. We are located minutes from Roswell. We have 4 Pitching Instructors on staff, plus many more hitting coaches. Call us @ 770-977-9789 to schedule.

Website - www.sareastcobb.com.

Thanks,

Gerry Schmidt, GM (Sports A Rama)
gerryschmidt@bellsouth.net
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  16:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you can get in with Howie @ Windward he's great, but very difficult to see him. We've been in & out of there for years and cannot speak about any of the other coaches there.
Go to Top of Page

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2011 :  22:21:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beanball

If you can get in with Howie @ Windward he's great, but very difficult to see him. We've been in & out of there for years and cannot speak about any of the other coaches there.

By the way Howie is Brian McCann's father
Go to Top of Page

UGA12

29 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2011 :  15:37:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben Bleumentahl at JCS Sports has really improved my son's offensive game. Last year in travel ball he was a 7/8 hitter and little power. This year he is in the 4 hole .474 AVG with a .786 SLP. Looking at videos from last year to this year is amazing to see the transformation he has made with his swing. Ben does a great job of speaking "kid". Stephen Flake gives pitching instructions out of JCS and he has been great for my son as well. Through mechanics alone he has increased his velocity tremendously and also teaching the whole game as pitcher ont eh runners on base and what to do in each count type situations.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2011 :  13:52:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize that Acworth is a little distance from Roswell but:

I believe Chris Cumberland is one of the best pitching instructors in this area, especially for LH Pitchers. My son (15U LHP, 1b, OF) has been going to Chris for the past 6 years and through it all Chris has been able to get my son back on track each time he ran into mechanical issues, on his own or by other instruction. He is a "players" instuctor that knows how to key in on the important parts that will make a player successful with their pitching style.

For hitting, Brian Nelson (who is in the same building as Chris) is one of the best around. He not only played in the minors but has been a minor league hitting coach, field coach, and a college head coach.

The great thing about this area is the abundance of really good instructors. Not every instructor is good, but there is an abundant supply of the ones who are.

Good luck in finding the right instruction for your sons.

Edited by - Alter-Ego on 04/22/2011 14:22:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000