General Discussion
 Sportsmanship Questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

warrenrookie

2 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:11:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were in a 12u tourney recently and what happened during one of the games raised some sportsmanship questions I'd like to throw out there.

If your opponent was already warming up in leftfield with their bags lined up outside the 3rd base dugout... would you walk up to the dugout and say "we are the higher seed so we get to choose the dugout, and we want this one" and proceed to watch your opponent move dugouts?

OUR OPPONENT DID

If the first baseman on the other team dropped a pop-up, would you then say to your player while standing on first base next to the player who just made the error and say "you are lucky they are really bad."

OUR OPPONENT DID

In a time-shortened game with a one run lead and 15 minutes left on the clock, would you walk onto the field to argue with the umpires because your opponent substituted 2 players in the prior inning who were reported to the umpires, but not to you. Would you continue the argument for 12 minutes demanding the batter be called out, and ultimately lose the argument when the tournament official has to be summoned to the field.

OUR OPPONENT DID

Would you shake hands with the other team after the game.

WE DID

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  11:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warrenrookie

We were in a 12u tourney recently and what happened during one of the games raised some sportsmanship questions I'd like to throw out there.

If your opponent was already warming up in leftfield with their bags lined up outside the 3rd base dugout... would you walk up to the dugout and say "we are the higher seed so we get to choose the dugout, and we want this one" and proceed to watch your opponent move dugouts?

OUR OPPONENT DID

If the first baseman on the other team dropped a pop-up, would you then say to your player while standing on first base next to the player who just made the error and say "you are lucky they are really bad."

OUR OPPONENT DID

In a time-shortened game with a one run lead and 15 minutes left on the clock, would you walk onto the field to argue with the umpires because your opponent substituted 2 players in the prior inning who were reported to the umpires, but not to you. Would you continue the argument for 12 minutes demanding the batter be called out, and ultimately lose the argument when the tournament official has to be summoned to the field.

OUR OPPONENT DID

Would you shake hands with the other team after the game.

WE DID

Never did that with the dugouts. I always assumed that the Home Team was first base, Visitors were third base, but if the other team was already at one or the other, we would just go to the other dugout. I would have never "pulled seeding" and "made" the other team move. I wouldn't have moved for them either. Unless the rules of the tournament do state that. Totally Bush League.

If one of my players had said something like that he would have gotten to sit next to the coaches for a couple of innings. Face it, though, that's a reflection on the way the kids are taught to approach the game on that, and many other, teams.

I've seen every manner of stalling possible, including changing catchers. Seen it backfire, too, and when they fell behind all of a sudden they tried to play faster. It's going to happen until you get to high school where the clock (thankfully) gets turned off.

We always shook hands no matter what kind of stuff had happened during the game. Period.

Every display of sportsmanship, good and bad, is a teachable moment.
Go to Top of Page

warrenrookie

2 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  12:34:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The statement about "you are lucky they are really bad" was made by one of the COACHES!
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  14:07:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by warrenrookie

The statement about "you are lucky they are really bad" was made by one of the COACHES!

Yikes! I never coached with anybody would say that, even if they thought it. Pretty bush. I would make sure that everyone that I talked to knew who did everything you just mentioned.
Go to Top of Page

christheump

351 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  15:44:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've seen just about every spectrum of sportsmanship..from parents yelling back and forth at each other and converging behind HP to yell at each other...to a player telling me and his coach I was correct even though the coach swore up and down I was wrong..to defensive coaches ganing up and getting into a verbal altercation with a 3rd base coach..to a batter/runner calling time to go talk to the pitcher after being drilled with a shot back up the middle...to parents running smack to players on the other teams while they are batting. Some will make your heart sink and shake your head in disbelief and some will make you day and cause a permanent smile on your face.
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  16:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shows you that alot of travel coaches are jerks.
The dugout you are in has nothing to do with how well or how poorly you play. When we show up to a tourney we take whatever dugout is available and then get ready to play ball. I would NEVER think to ask another team to move, completely classless.
I know our manager- if he knew one of his coaches said that he would remove the coach for that game and maybe even another one. The fact that coach got away with it is another example of how big of jerks they were.
I once refused to shake the hands of the other coaches and after my teams parents pointed out that they were surprised and disappointed in me I now shake hands no matter what garbage they are guilty of. Whether I say "good game" or "well done" or "congrats" is another matter. I ALWAYS tell the other players how well they did whether their coaches were jerks or, in the case of this weekends tourney, the home plate ump out right cheated to get his home field team the win and the field ump agreed with us. The players still took the field and tried hard to do their best.
Go to Top of Page

4bagger

131 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  17:00:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our pitcher drilled a guy by accident, called time and ran over to 1B and told the kid he was sorry and shook his hand.
Never told our pitchers to do that but it made a great impression on me as a coach and I told him it was one of the classiest things I've seen done.
Go to Top of Page

PerfectGame

55 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2011 :  20:14:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think we've all witnessed some pretty appalling behavior on the baseball field. And I guess there's not a whole lot anybody can do about it. Engaging with these idiots seems to only make it worse (I've witnessed an attempt to diffuse one of them ... not good). I am pleased however when my boys recognize the appalling behavior when it occurs. Heartbreaking to see entire teams of boys who either have no reaction to their coaches awful behavior or, worse, mimic it.

Sometimes there is behavior that is downright abusive. It's very difficult to see that go down. I go out of my way to find the kid at the receiving end and give him some positive feedback.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000