General Discussion
 Todds
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TODDS

153 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  07:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have a 10 year old and was looking for a throwing program for the off season to help strengthen his arm. Have found some, but most are for older kids. Is it too young to start one and if not where can I find one for his age? Thanks!!

HITANDRUN

436 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  11:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Personally I think it's too early, get out and throw a football with him and have some fun and that will do plenty of arm strengthening, when the season gets going change to throwing the baseball.
Go to Top of Page

richv30

8 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  12:40:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My son just throws . I know that sounds silly , but the more he throws the stronger he will become . work some long toss in his work out to the point that he is one-hopping the ball to you . I will bet that his throws will grow in length from one month to the next .
Go to Top of Page

RBishop7

104 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  13:03:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Combat Pitcher program is a great program for any age over 8 in the offseason. I am running the program now and it's a great offseason program for arm care, core strength, and decreases risk of injury. My class consist of 10-12 year olds and they seem to love it!

Thanks,
Ric Bishop
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  17:04:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long Toss. Leo Mazzonni once complained that kids today don't go out and throw things like they used to. Like throwing rocks into a pond, or at animals in the woods.
Go to Top of Page

wwbc

36 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  18:30:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this doesn't really answer your question but throwing weither it's pitching or not is about the movement. We refer to a kid as having good arm strength when he actually just has a good throwing movement or mechanics. Now that's not to say the kid isn't strong but if you're looking to creat more velocity for pitching or add distance to his over all throwing capability from any defensive position, then how strong he is will suprisingly have little to do with it especially when it comes to pitching. Flexibility and proper movement when making the throw will play a bigger part than the actuall strength of the arm. I think there's been a big misconception between the two that has caused a lot of arm injuries for kids. Long toss can hurt a kids arm too if they're just out there chucking the ball as far as they can with no real understanding of the purpose and without proper form throughout the movement. So the question i would ask you is, do you want to strengthen the arm as in resistance weight training or create more velocity and distance through a throwing program that implements biometric and plyometric movements to increase flexibility along with making sure the throwing movement is being done properly. The more flexible you are, the stronger you are. The more accurate you are with the mechanics of the throwing movement, the harder, more accurate and further you will be able to throw the ball. All the medicine ball drills and reps hopping on one leg while swinging a sledge hammer against a huge tire won't do a thing if the movement isn't right once a baseball is put in your hand. Again, i know this may not have answered your question but maybe it helped shed some light as to the proper training program neccessary for your sons needs.
Go to Top of Page

baseball1

56 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2010 :  22:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

Personally I think it's too early, get out and throw a football with him and have some fun and that will do plenty of arm strengthening, when the season gets going change to throwing the baseball.

big conflict in throwing motion and muscles b/t a football and a baseball....ask any advanced QB or valid QB coach.

long toss , general throwing is most effective. I would guess at age 10 it shouldn't be more than every 3 days if regular...high school on up is every other day year round .
Go to Top of Page

Phattso

143 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  09:42:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1

quote:
Originally posted by HITANDRUN

big conflict in throwing motion and muscles b/t a football and a baseball....ask any advanced QB or valid QB coach.

long toss , general throwing is most effective. I would guess at age 10 it shouldn't be more than every 3 days if regular...high school on up is every other day year round .

While I agree that the football throwing motion is different and different muscles are used, throwing a football will strengthen the arm for baseball reasons. I know this not from studies or asking a QB instructor, but from my personal experience. I started throwing the football in the winter when I was in HS and continued in college and it most certainly helped my arm strength for baseball in HS and college. I have 2 boys and I make sure they throw the football in the winter and I can promise you it makes a difference.

Just my .02...
Go to Top of Page

richv30

8 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  10:23:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also remember that the core and bottom half of the body is just as if not more important than the actual arm . You could have the strongest arm out there, but if you are usng all arm and not powering off your back leg your power will be limited . I would recomend using certain exercises to train these areas of the body such as a limmited amount of push-ups,sit-ups,squats and lunges . Most kids that play football do theese exercises 3 times a week . And don't count out leverage . Working down hill and finishing at your target !
Go to Top of Page

mstimpson

57 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  13:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richv30

Also remember that the core and bottom half of the body is just as if not more important than the actual arm . You could have the strongest arm out there, but if you are usng all arm and not powering off your back leg your power will be limited . I would recomend using certain exercises to train these areas of the body such as a limmited amount of push-ups,sit-ups,squats and lunges . Most kids that play football do theese exercises 3 times a week . And don't count out leverage . Working down hill and finishing at your target !

GREAT POINT richv30! People totally neglect the core or lower half when relating to throwing and pitching. I would also throw in flexibility as well!
Go to Top of Page

Steel-Will

278 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2010 :  18:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody have any thoughts on the Jaeger J-Bands Jr. Arm Bands and the "Thrive on Throwing" long toss program?

Has anybody any experience using it over a period of time with any age group 10 and above?
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2010 :  10:30:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by baseball1

baseball1 : your on the button here

maybe an advantage, for raw strength exercising , to throw something heavier than a baseball

but a football throw and a baseball throw and two different throws alltogether

is two different set of muscles alltogether

dedicated quarterbacks dont like throwing a baseball

i recommend lot of long throwing and stretch bands
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000