General Discussion
 GGBL?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigboysdad

13 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  16:27:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I don't play out of Gwinnett, I don't know anything about the GGBL. How does this compare skill wise to USSSA, Nations or Triple Crown? Would a solid AAA player get a work out or get bored? (Not trying to say anything bad about it. I just don't know.)

baseballpapa

1520 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  18:47:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Papa will await bmoser's answer on this one. It seems to be me that this league might be getting stronger.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  21:19:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bbdad, GGBL is a great value for your travel dollar. It costs the team around $400 for 20 games plus a DE tournament at the end. The smart coaches will schedule a lot of double headers so that a lot of effort isn't put forth to play only one game at a time. Depending on the age group, the competition usually ranges from AA to AAA caliber. Some very good ball players have played and still play GGBL.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2010 :  22:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B, the GGBL league is a very competitive league and like Bandit Hawk said it's great value. Our team costs in spring about $500-600 and we played about 50-60 games through out the spring season. We mixed in about 5-6 tournaments and a trip to Panama City beach for a tournament. There are solid AA & AAA teams. Honestly, I think you could take 1-2 players off most teams and have a very strong Major team. In fact, keep your eye out for a team just like that, in mid to late summer....... You heard it from me first!!!

So to answer your question: No I don't think they would be bored, and yes they would get a great workout if on the right team.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  03:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have very mixed feelings on the GGBL, and I have tried to comment on the state of baseball in Gwinnett county on here before...We are from Gwinnett county and we would have loved to stay close for baseball, and we tried to last year with Signature Park...My main issue with Gwinnett county is the county refuses to allow travel baseball to succeed. For us a 20 game season was never going to be enough, coupled with a complete lack of coaching at this level on our side of town.....Many if not most families on this side of town choose not to compete at the upper levels, very unlike Cobb county where East Cobb or 643 offer a program to not only develop players but allow them to compete with other travel ball quality players, also the families have a committment to winning and developing their son. I for one see absolutely ZERO reason to play against talent that you know you can beat, or spend 1500$ to 2000$ to play on an all-star type team. Instead I want my nephew challenged by facing the best possible pitching as well as the best hitters when he is on the mound...There are absolute studs in the GGBL system but some of these major teams have #11 or #12 hitters who could be the best player on a AA/GGBL team...There is NO PLAYER to pitch around...That being said, I can clearly see the convenience with league ball such as GGBL...I don't know what level your family would enjoy playing at or what skill level your son is at so I can't adequately answer your question, but give it a try, we did and enjoyed it for a season. One thing is for sure, whenever Gwinnett county families decide to truly commit to playing at the highest level and putting a solid team together with the intent of winning some people will be amazed...We have the talent!!!!

Edited by - Spartan4 on 10/29/2010 07:41:35
Go to Top of Page

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  09:31:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
bigboysdad,
What age group? In 9u, the Parks only have 1 team, and the talent is concentrated, so your son would be challenged. In 10U, some larger Parks add a second "B" team, and things get diluted a bit because all the "A's" and "B's" are grouped into one huge league, thus ~1/3rd of his games can get lopsided. In 11U, even more Parks add a "B" team and you'll get a few more lopsided games. Finally, in 12U, they split out the AA's from the AAA's and each group becomes competitive again. This split continues until Freshman tryouts.

There are other considerations though. Yes, the cost is a great value, but at most Parks, practice time is limited to 1 field practice/week. Practice times and game times are sub-optimal. There are a few exceptions, such as Buford, because Buford is not an overcrowded County Park, its a City of Buford Park that is a bit underutilized. The only underutilized County Park that comes to mind is Lenora.

If you play out of an overcrowded County Park in extreme Northern or Southern Gwinnett, you could be getting home from a game later than 10 PM on a school night. 1/2 the games are Saturday night, or Sunday because Rec ball is given priority over GGBL for time slots. Thus, most weekends are not available for USSSA, Triple Crown, Grand Slam, Nations, tourneys during the season.

You have to ask about field availability, practice/game times, AA or AAA league splits, ect..

My son played 9U GGBL, and 10U Fall season, had fun, and was challenged. We wanted more tournaments, so we moved on. There are a few very good Coaches in GGBL, but I'd say overall, its a bit below what you'll find across the independent travel team spectrum. I think the number or returning players is a fairly good indicator of solid Coaching in GGBL. The more the better. Just my opinion, but I'd look for 8, or more, returning players out of 11 (unless a newly created cluster is involved).

Edited by - bmoser on 10/29/2010 14:29:55
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  10:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B, one more thing. Spartan was right about the level of coaching of which I didn't talk about. My experience on the teams we have been on is none of these coachs have quote on quote taught my son how to pitch or hit properly or with proper technique. Not to say there's not good coaching in Gwinnett but that's what we have experienced. We spend another $1500+ per year to get private instruction from a pro at RENZ. So if your looking for that in a coach you might want to consider other options. Personally, I would not drive to these other locations to get this type of coaching (yet). After 5+ years at renz I can say we made the right decision without a doubt.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/29/2010 :  23:47:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a very unbiased opinion and I think it was spot on Gwinnett!!!

Kevin Renz has helped my nephew considerably over the years and is a great instructor, I would consider his program over any in the state if we were to choose homeschooling as an option. Gwinnett's son is in the top 5% of 11U GGBL kids IMO and would be a welcome addition to any major travel team. His some will thrive at any level, what is the opinion from everyone on our boys playing up to the level of competition that they play with and against??? I feel the better the boys surrounding mine the better he plays.
Go to Top of Page

Gwinnett

791 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2010 :  10:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's amazing what a kid can get out of baseball if he really wants it!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, Spartan
Go to Top of Page

amoore4

9 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  07:43:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very good points here on the GGBL topic. My son played GGBL right through from 9U to 13U and wouldn't have changed a thing about it. It was basically a league to play the local travel teams in your age group. What we did find was when we reached 13U the teams were a lot weaker, so the competition ended up being weaker. We had a couple of good teams up top and the rest were rec level teams. If you were looking for good practice time this is a perfect way to do it, especially $$$. If you are a higher caliber competitive team, don't waste your time, especially in the older age groups. So that's where we finished up with GGBL and as I said wouldn't have changed a thing.
On the Kevin Renz topic, my son has been with Coach Kevin for 3 years now and I will say he's one of the best instructors in the Gwinnett area, especially for pitching.
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  10:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know we have a kid on our team this year that played in a local "travel league" up until this fall. Not sure it was the GGBL, but it was something like that. His dad raved about how good he was and how he tore up the competition. Said he didn't understand why in HS he only played freshman and not JV or Varsity. Well, this fall he didn't get a single hit. Pitching was good at times and not good more often. Talking with the dad at the end of the season, he talked about how his son had played travel prior to this, but not really like what he faced this fall. A true travel team will be facing MUCH tougher competition. I have nothing against the travel leagues around including NWBA and GGBL. In fact my son at 12 & 13u played in them as an adjunct to playing in regular tournaments. However, if you really want to be challenged, play on a regular tournament team against the best out there and you will see how you stack up.

It is fun to be the big fish in a little pond, but get out there into the bigger world and you will see where you really stack up. It really is a little humbling for everyone. After playing in and seeing what is out there in the PG & WWBA type tournaments, it brings everything into perspective. You want to move to the next level, there is a TON of competition out there. Even at the older age groups after many have dropped out, there are still many, many very good ball players trying to grab that ring to the next level.

Everyone knows my feeling that at probably under 12, it doesn't really matter where you play. But when you get to 13, 14 or 15, you really should step it up a notch, not only to see where you stand, but also to improve your skills and play the best competition to make it at the next level which is HS.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  11:54:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bballman

Everyone knows my feeling that at probably under 12, it doesn't really matter where you play. But when you get to 13, 14 or 15, you really should step it up a notch, not only to see where you stand, but also to improve your skills and play the best competition to make it at the next level which is HS.

bballman, do you think that a player that has been challenged by the best competition at 10, 11 or 12 will be better prepared when he goes to 13, 14 and 15?
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  19:15:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe, maybe not. Personally, my son did not play any travel until he was 12. He has fared well. I have also seen numerous kids play from an earlier age that are no longer in the game at all. My biggest concern playing a heavy travel schedule from an early age would be the wear and tear on pitchers arms. The problem will be you won't know it's happening until they get to the 15-17 age group. Other than that, who knows? Like I said, I have seen kids start (relatively) late in travel excel in HS and kids who started very early, not playing anymore. To be fair, there are early starters still playing. I just think it is not a necessity. Athleticism and baseball skills will get you to the next level. I truly believe those skills can be learned in 2-3 years on the bigger fields. JMHO from being involved with my son's baseball life over the last 10 years.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2010 :  20:00:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you. I asked because I am aware that you are years ahead of where I am today with my boys. I definitely see your point and the areas of concern.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000