General Discussion
 New High School rule
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  15:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anyone heard of a rule that MAY make high school players ineligible to play high school baseball if 6 or more palyers from the same team play travel ball together on the same team?

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2010 :  20:27:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If that's the case goodbye feeder teams.
Go to Top of Page

LeftyBat

160 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  11:35:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the logic behind this rule? Seems to me if you are districted to play in a HS and you are the right age, you should be able to play....

GA is a funny state. Private schools are allowed to offer scholarships and recruit from wide areas and they get to compete in the same league as public schools which are restricted (in the state I grew up in there was a private and a public league and the champions would play each other for bragging rights)

I can't see how what a student does with his own time is of any business to the state athletic association as long as he remains an amateur. Somebody help me understand who would advocate such a rule and why....
Go to Top of Page

zwndad

170 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  11:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Are they trying to kill high school baseball? Or split up kids who live near each other and want to play together?
Go to Top of Page

bstand

56 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  13:04:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Big Brother is trying to protect us from ourselves. You know, playing all that baseball all the time is very dangerous business. Someone could hurt themselves. Definitely needs regulating. JK. Makes no sense to me either.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  13:55:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just scanned the GHSA rules and did not find anything about this. If you can identify the rule you're talking aboout we can discuss.

Edited by - beanball on 10/12/2010 14:26:42
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  14:15:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C. MORTON

Anyone heard of a rule that MAY make high school players ineligible to play high school baseball if 6 or more palyers from the same team play travel ball together on the same team?

C.Morton, I'd like to know where you heard that. I just went to the NFHS website and read through the new rules for 2010 and 2011 and didn't see anything about that.

I have also gone through all the GHSA rules and don't see anything that even remotely resembles this rule. GHSA regulates what a coach can and can't do during the season and out of season with students in the sport he is coaching, but nothing I see regulates what a group of students can or can't do.

Can you give a quote from either rulebook that talks about this? Until I see that, I would just consider this a rumor since I couldn't find anything on the NFHS website or in the GHSA rules that cites this as a "new rule" or an existing rule.

Edited by - bballman on 10/12/2010 14:26:42
Go to Top of Page

baserunner

115 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2010 :  16:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know the state of Ohio has a crazy rule like this, but I haven't heard about it in Georgia. Let's hope it's just a rumor.
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  13:09:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was talking to the Baseball Coach of South East High school and he was saying that it may be or is on the way.. I told him the same thing kids will just say the heck with high school ball and just play travel..I looked for the rule also but I think it is more in the works than in affect...
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  14:12:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wonder if the rule is because of baseball/softball or AAU basketball? Would kill the McEachern Wood Bat Tournament, and I believe that regions north of the airport would successfully kill it. If they don't, then we will know that the coaces truly do not understand what happens in the outside world.
Go to Top of Page

Hurricane

351 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  16:12:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know how many good travel teams this would impact. I don't think a lot of the really good teams have 6 players from the same high school. I know Gwinnett County does a June League with their players from the high school season, but it's standard for high school and wouldn't affect that at all.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2010 :  17:26:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any of the really elite 15-18U travel teams wouldn't be impacted by it. IMO...I'm sure there are a few teams that have 6 or more players from the same HS but just like the elite travel teams at younger ages most kids are from the same 50-60 mile radius not a 5-6 mile radius....Again JMO... Regardless I believe it is a ridiculous rule, really serves no purpose as a majority of phenoms that play HS play on showcase teams, and I'm sure a scout would rather watch a game with 10 prospects on the field than travel all over watching 1 or 2 at each HS.
Go to Top of Page

Four Seam

28 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2010 :  16:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I heard the same thing a couple of months ago from a high school coach that had just attended a rules meeting. Said something about the state is saying that the travel teams (baseball, softball, basketball) are being used for recruiting to another high school. Made no sense to me but thats what he said.
Go to Top of Page

coachdan06

433 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2010 :  03:17:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
should not affect decent talent level teams !!! :

talented level teams do not have multi high scho0l common teammates

teams that have multi common teammates are set up thataways to force a package deal which is to protect at least a coupla kids who arent getting on the team without the affiliation

avoid !!!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000