Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  07:41:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's a question that might be interesting for some of you to talk about:

Which has the greater potential of causing your kid harm - throwing a curve ball or playing youth football?

Interested to hear your thoughts and experiences.

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  10:52:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't answer that specific of a question, but I can come close. The Government tracks the causes of hospital emergency room visits. Last time I looked, youth Football had 3X the visits as youth Baseball.

quote:
Originally posted by Bandit_Hawk

Which has the greater potential of causing your kid harm - throwing a curve ball or playing youth football?

Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:34:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Teach them both the correct way and there should not be an issue. Any sport is dangerous to some degree and injuries happen. I just am from the camp you don't teach a curve ball until a kid is atleast 13 and then only use it every once in awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Scott0923

49 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:37:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
football...no brainer
it's the sport with the highest risk of injury per play
Go to Top of Page

Scott0923

49 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  11:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
but you can choose or coach your kids not to throw a curve till appropriate age. if u choose not to hit in football ull get hurt sometimes getting hit injures you...
Go to Top of Page

G-Man

326 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  15:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might surprise you but do you know what sport that has more injuries than football? Its Cheerleading. I was just as surprised as you might be right now but saw a 20/20 documentary about 6 months ago that said cheerleading has more injuries than any other sport in america.

Now to answer the question. One can cause injury from day one. The other is insidious and causes injury over time. I will let you choose which is which.

quote:
Originally posted by bmoser

I can't answer that specific of a question, but I can come close. The Government tracks the causes of hospital emergency room visits. Last time I looked, youth Football had 3X the visits as youth Baseball.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

DecaturDad

619 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  17:29:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is why my son plays ice hockey in the fall.
Go to Top of Page

Spartan4

913 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2010 :  21:27:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Never thought I would ever see Ice hockey used as the "safe alternative" lol.....Every Thrashers game I have ever been to somebody has gotten KNOCKED OUT!!!
Go to Top of Page

highcheese

71 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  11:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The stands are brutual down there.
Go to Top of Page

excoach12

159 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  13:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheerleading is not a sport.
It DOES take some athletic talent, to a degree, from SOME of the members of the squad but overall, it is not a sport.
Go to Top of Page

cop311

44 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2010 :  15:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the definition of sport-
an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
I would put my daughters competing squad against any baseball
team my son has played ( he's 12 she's 10) and they would destroy them in terms of physical prowess. Pushups, sit ups, running, etc. My daughter can do upside down pushups and has beaten all the boys in her grade at arm wrestling. She has broken her wrist and a growth plate in her finger. So yes they don't use a ball but her team ( 3 national championships running) fits the technical definition of sport.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  00:55:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am with cop311. Competitive cheerleading is much more greuling sport than most others. As long as activities like golf and auto racing are discussed as sports, so should cheerleading.
Go to Top of Page

itsaboutbb

164 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  11:10:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This got off tract a little...I would think the curve ball is harder on the arm then throwing a football.
Go to Top of Page

a1prog

164 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  23:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i have never heard of a kid who has fractured a growth plate from throwing a football. has anyone else? if not- then there is the answer.

Edited by - a1prog on 09/27/2010 08:38:14
Go to Top of Page

LeftyBat

160 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2010 :  23:32:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by itsaboutbb

quote:

This got off tract a little...I would think the curve ball is harder on the arm then throwing a football.

I think you are right. Thowing a football is much less hard on the arm than throwing a curve ball. But its the other parts of the game where people run into each other at full speed with the intent of delivering the biggest impact possible that makes football just maybe just a little bit worse for the body than throwing a curve ball.
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  09:24:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The discussion wasn't intended to be about "throwing a football" vs "throwing a curveball". It was supposed to be about "throwing a curveball vs playing football".

The thought crossed my mind as I watched two of my son's baseball friends suffer broken bones and separated joints playing football this season. I also saw a news story about the damage being done to these young football players brains as they repeatedly bang heads. In particular, one study showed that it may lead to depression and suicide later in life.
Go to Top of Page

gafan

66 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:05:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All true... but football is still just awesome... no?
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:14:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, the original question was not about throwing a football, it was about playing youth football vs throwing a curveball.

Up through 12, I am not sure football is harder on a kid that teaching him to throw a curveball. The number of football players at the lower ages that really know how to "Bring the wood" are far less than once you get to feeder football and HS.

Not to mention most kids 12u and below don't understand pitching mechanics enough to consistently do it properly to avoid undue stress. (There are always the exception, but this is typically the rule.)
Go to Top of Page

TAZ980002

831 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  10:44:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gafan

It is awesome. I love to watch it. However, I won't let my kids play just yet. I am fortunate to know a handful of NFL players and they all recommend not playing before high school.
Go to Top of Page

643dad

38 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  11:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bryant Gumbel just had a segment on how many sports are being linked to MS, due to brain concussions are causing brain fluid to leak into the spinal cord. Kids who play soccer & girls Lagrosse are really suffering. Love football but glad that my sons rather play baseball. Just not worth the immendiate hazards & especially the long tern "unknown."
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  11:57:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

It is awesome. I love to watch it. However, I won't let my kids play just yet. I am fortunate to know a handful of NFL players and they all recommend not playing before high school.

LOL let them step onto a good football programs field and see how FAR behing the curve they are..Coaches these days don't have time to teach players how to play and the fundamentals of the game.Thats why tackeling is so POOR these days.. You wouldn't send you son out for baseball in high school if he never played before would you lol..Heck he may get to high school and get ROCKED by one of those kids that have been playing all their lives and say this ain't for me daddy lol..
Go to Top of Page

LeftyBat

160 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  12:29:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

yes it is, but I am so happy my son decided that it's best to let other kids be awesome at it...
Go to Top of Page

C. MORTON

1051 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  13:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I can say not all baseball players can play football but most football players can play baseball...
Go to Top of Page

bballman

1432 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  16:29:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by C. MORTON

One thing I can say not all baseball players can play football but most football players can play baseball...

So what you are say is not all baseball players can play football but not all football players can play baseball.

Come on C.

I guarantee you can take any football player and put him up against the #1 or #2 starter on any HS team and a strike out will be the result. Baseball is not any where near as easy as it looks from the bleachers.
Go to Top of Page

Hitman

33 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  17:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO all youth baseball players should play at least one year of youth football. I think it adds a level of toughness that transcends all sports.
Go to Top of Page

10 BB

264 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2010 :  19:16:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My boy has never played football and there is no way that one year of it could make him any tougher, mentally or physically. He's in the 6th grade and has strength and agility training with the HS baseball team by choice. This training has and will make several of the boys puke every time. Football is a great sport to watch but to many injuries can occur for me to allow him to play. If your measuring physical toughness based on injury then I guess he will never be tough in the eyes of the pro-footballers!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000