New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  13:02:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If a player is already on a team from the previous year, and another team is interested during the eval weekend, what happens during the player draft?? Would both team be expected to make an offer before draft day?? Just curious what's involved with this process.

Yes, I do assume my son will get an offer from last years team.

BravesFan

533 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:17:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is no draft per se, all players are free agents and can go to any team that offers a spot. If your team from last year hasn't offered a spot, I wouldn't hold my breathe unless they don't find another player they like better.

Maybe a few of the actual coaches can comment but I believe this is the case.
Go to Top of Page

12uCoach

357 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:23:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First, if you want to go back to your old team, and the coach wants you, let him know before eval, coaches get together and discuss who they have commitments from. If you want to be a free agent, then also talk to your coach. During the tryout your child and you may get a chance to talk to one of the other coaches depending on their way of doing the eval. I like to talk to each player, frozen or not, and based on their response, I may talk to the parents. (Note: Coaches hate this, but I learned from watching an ECB HoF Coach steal players from me).

Frantic calls are made in the days leading up to the draft, but I have never walked away from Sunday without knowing who most of my team would be. On Sunday, I would e-mail or call to get confirmations and make sure no one was swayed by the sweet talk of another.

The NBA ain't got nothing on ECB coaches when it comes to recruiting.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:45:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On draft night all teams will come with the players they have secured. If a player has not been selected by any of the teams, they will be discussed and, hopefully, picked for one of the teams still needing players.

If you are on an existing EC team, and you are interested in being looked at by one or more other EC teams during the tryouts, you need to make sure those coaches know you are available for consideration. When the tryouts start, coaches many times will tell the other teams that they have locks on a certain list of players. Many times the parents don't know that they have been included on a lock list, when in fact they did not want to be. I have seen several kids be looked over by other teams because of this. My suggestion is to introduce yourself to the coach of a potential team and let them know that you are not necessarily locked in to another team.

Just a little word to the wise.
Go to Top of Page

metsFan

63 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:51:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that it is up to the player's family to decide which team to play for if they get multiple offers. I suspect if your coach from the previous year wants you for next year, he will try and get you to commit to his team before the tryout. Now if you have already committed to a team and then decide on greener pastures on draft day, you may be burning a bridge. Technically (I have been told), offers are not made prior to draft day but that only happens to players that are on the bubble. If a coach wants your son on his team he is going to let you know before the official tryout.
Go to Top of Page

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  14:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feedback!! We do have a verbal offer to return - just not sure we want to return to the same team.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  15:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the coaches were not allowed to talk to the parents at the try-out. If it were my kid and I was being approached every five minutes by a coach asking me to commit to him on the spot, I think I would go with the one who called me afterwards and was more concerned with watching my son than schmoozing his dad.
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  22:10:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that a kid who is on a certain team must be "released" from his current team to be considered for another team. The coaches have an understanding that they will not take players from other EC teams unless they have either 1) been released from that team or 2) the parents of the player have approached them about an opening on their team.
Go to Top of Page

BravesFan

533 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2010 :  23:34:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coach0512

My understanding is that a kid who is on a certain team must be "released" from his current team to be considered for another team. The coaches have an understanding that they will not take players from other EC teams unless they have either 1) been released from that team or 2) the parents of the player have approached them about an opening on their team.

that only applies after the rosters and registration fees have been paid. During the try outs, everyone is essentially a free agent even the ones that "verbally committed" to a team.
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  06:44:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Allow me to add my 2 cents on this. Last year was our 1st experience with ECB try-out/clinic. We chose to wait until we were in one of the older groups for a variety of reasons. Before the clinic weekend we attended a workout session with one of the teams in our age group just to get some work in. The coach was very impressed with my son and offered him a spot right there. When we explained that this was our 1st experience with the ECB process and wanted to go in with all our options wide open.

The following week we attended the clinic and did very well. Several coachs spoke directly to my son, including the Astro's coaches. On Sunday during the scrimmage my son's on the mound doing vey well, while I'm sitting on the bleachers I receive a call from the coach, he's on the field 100 ft away. Another high pressure call to commit to his team. We did not for the same reason I already mentioned to him earlier.

Long story short, we do not receive any other offers from any other team in the days after the clinic. After a little investigation I discover my son was "drafted" by this coach without our knowledge or consent. We wound up on a different ECB team this summer after our HS sseason was over.

Just be very aware there are all kinds of things going on during the process. Like with anything else keep you eyes open.

Edited by - beanball on 08/07/2010 09:25:24
Go to Top of Page

ChinMusic

126 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  10:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What beanball describes is the situation we're trying to avoid. I guess I'll make sure any coach I speak with knows my son is not committed to any team, even though we have been invited back to the current team.

Thanks again for the good comments and discussion.
Go to Top of Page

loveforthegame25

448 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  13:08:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BEAN, from my experiences with EC all you had to do was tell EC brass that you did not agree to being on that particular team, especially if what your saying is true about your son being looked at by the Astros. If an Astro coach wanted your kid you should have said something to that coach that you were wanting to play on the Astros. This sounds kinda fishy to me
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  17:41:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOVE, don't get me wrong, I don't believe my son was ready to play for the Astro's last year. Nor do I think there was high interest from the Astro's -- just curiosity because he had not been in the ECB scene before. I did mention this to the ECB staff after the fact when I found out. Unfortunately at that point the horse is already out of the barn.
Go to Top of Page

coach0512

123 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  18:08:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day one of evals done at EC for this year and the biggest thing I noticed was that most of the coaches were not paying that much attention. One of the dads told me his son was offered a position on one of the teams a couple weeks ago and he had to show up to pay his $100 so he would be "legal".
Some of the kids went home early because they already had commitments from a team. Just under 100 kids showed up for tryouts and paid their $100 and they have no shot whatsoever of getting on a team. There MIGHT be 2 or 3 openings across the spectrum of teams but unless you already have a committment or are the next Sabathia you've wasted your money.
I was really hoping these two days would be more of a "clinic" as advertised but it's not. Just another tryout run like all the others.
EC is STILL the place to get too so we will keep our fingers crossed and try our best on day two. :)
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  22:40:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
coach05, ECB has little or no value for anyone under 14U. If you live locally and can play there that's great. If not, don't sweat and play the highest level you can and play against them to get better. When you're 15U and above get there and get seen by scouts. That's when it gets important. Before that it's only for dad's ego.
Go to Top of Page

touchemall

145 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  12:05:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So all those kids, coaches, and parents of players who are 14 and under at ECB are wasting their time?
Go to Top of Page

4baseball

15 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  13:55:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Coach, not only do they not pay attention but some coaches didn't even bother to show up for the morning evaluations on Sunday. That's right - no representation at all for one of the teams.
Go to Top of Page

BravesFan

533 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  15:54:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that some of these teams are already full, wouldn't get too caught up in all that.
Go to Top of Page

buzzworthy

19 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  16:42:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the goal for your child is to be on one of the top high school age teams at ECB, its probably not a good idea to wait til you're 15. If you're already in the system at a younger age, say by 11 or 12, then you're already on the radar, assuming your kid is on one of the higher level teams. I'd say if you're an Astros-caliber player, you'd want to be on the Astros by the time you're 13 or 14. Obviously there are exceptions...
Go to Top of Page

silver0910

68 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  21:20:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I felt the tryouts were one of the best we have been to. It was well run, well organized. Thank you ECB
Go to Top of Page

beanball

222 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  21:35:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
buzz/trust

take a look at the 16U Astros or the 17U Braves rosters. let me know how many of them were in the ECB "system" when they were 11 or 12. The ECB radar reaches far beyond what you think & those in the "system" don't always grow or develop like dad thinks.

Baseball like life is a funny thing. Just when you think you got it figured out someone throws you a curve.
Go to Top of Page

Alter-Ego

802 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  22:20:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if two players are equal, an Astro will get the selection over a non-Astro and an EC player will get the nod over a non-EC player.
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  08:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by beanball

buzz/trust

take a look at the 16U Astros or the 17U Braves rosters. let me know how many of them were in the ECB "system" when they were 11 or 12. The ECB radar reaches far beyond what you think & those in the "system" don't always grow or develop like dad thinks.

Baseball like life is a funny thing. Just when you think you got it figured out someone throws you a curve.

What I've observed over the years at ECB, is that their geographic reach, extends further as you advance in age ( kids can drive, mom & dad are OK with leaving them in Atlanta over the summer, etc. ). However, I still see lots of local talent as well.
Go to Top of Page

AllStar

762 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  10:42:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by touchemall

So all those kids, coaches, and parents of players who are 14 and under at ECB are wasting their time?

No, but outside of the top 2-4 teams in any given age group there is no difference between East Cobb and any other park.

Well, except you get less field time.

If that's where you want your son to play, it is a fabulous facility and chances are several of the tournaments you play in will be on your home fields, which would be nice, but outside of the elite teams it's no better or worse than any other park.
Go to Top of Page

ItsjustLLBBall

119 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  10:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alter-Ego

But if two players are equal, an Astro will get the selection over a non-Astro and an EC player will get the nod over a non-EC player.

It is that thinking that I have a problem with, if you listen to that from them enough, you will start to believe it. Beanball is on the money when he says that most of the players on the rosters are out of state players, there are very few home grown players. Again, I think it is a great place to play baseball, and the whole concept over there is genius, but there is a lot and when I say a lot, I'm talking tons of smoke and mirrors. Do you really think that your kids 95mph fastball is any worse than the kid that plays for the astros 95mph fastball???
Go to Top of Page

Ewhites

1 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2010 :  14:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does East Cobb post a contact list of coaches in advance of the tryout? How do we insure our kid has an opportunity to be seen?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000