General Discussion
 Bats; Youth vs Senior
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

metsFan

63 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:45:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are your thoughts on the two categories of bats? When my son was playing 7 & 8 yo coach pitch they only allowed the Youth (2 1/4 diameter) bats but did allow the Senior (2 5/8 & 2 3/4 diameter) in the summer all stars.

As soon as the kid pitch starts in 9u it seems that everybody moves to the Senior league bats. Is there a significant benefit in the extra 1/2" in bat diameter? The extra diameter also comes at the expense of either a lighter or longer bat. I have always been told that bat speed has the greatest impact on the ball flight.

All things being equal would you rather have a 28/18 Senior or a 30/18 Youth?

All things being equal would you rather have a 30/20 Senior or a 30/18 Youth?

Thanks for your thoughts.

bmoser

1633 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  16:41:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
metsFan:
I think it varies by player. My son wasn't strong enough to handle the big barrel's until 11U. Even then, he could only swing the ones that were drop 10 and didn't place too much weight at the end of the bat. We found the Worth aluminum and Combat composite to have the most balanced weighting which minimized his swing velocity loss. I wasted $300 on one of the Easton models (Orange barrel with Blue handle)that was extremely end-loaded.

I'll bet one of the sponsors on this site who sells bats will have a swing radar to clock your sons bat speed with the various bats he sells. If so, I would highly recommend taking your son there, and buy a bat from him after timing each one he swings.

Now, if your son is big and strong for the age group he plays in, it wont matter nearly as much which one you pick. Heck, you might even want to start out with a drop 8 or drop 9. Get some professional help...I wish I had.
Go to Top of Page

metsFan

63 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:55:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. The Eastons do swing heavier than the Worth Prodigy and Combat B1 (big barrel). Now I have to see which of the sponsors check swings with radar!
Go to Top of Page

prestont

197 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  07:47:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
metsFan -

Got a few ideas for ya but also wanted to pass on a link to a bat reviews forum too. Very similar to the forum here on nwgabaseball, but specific to bats. Folks like you and I can post threads, and get feedback from others around the country on how diff bats (LL, SL, Wood) are performing for their kids.

http://www.baseball-bats.net/forums/

Shoot me an email when ya get a chance - got a couple ideas/suggestions for ya too.

Good Luck to ya!

BTW: we hit a Mets game @ new Citi field after the 10U Cooperstown week. Absolutely beautiful stadium, truly got their moneys worth (& they spent alot!). My 10U fit in with a new york attitude as he kept asking the fans around us.... How can ANYONE root for the Mets??? I'm a transplanted New Yorker, but sure was proud of a little 10yo southerner dishing it out all game to the New York fans ;-)
Go to Top of Page

6bomber

68 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  19:38:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
what are the weight restrictions when you change from 12u to 13u.

drop 5? drop 7?
Go to Top of Page

gasbag

281 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2010 :  21:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 6bomber

what are the weight restrictions when you change from 12u to 13u.

drop 5? drop 7?

Officially you can use either. We started the 13U season with a drop 8 and transitioned to a drop 5. Being as junior was in seventh grade, we had one more year to transition from a drop 5 to a drop 3 in preparation for high school ball. That's just my opinion on how to handle the bat weight situation but each kid is different. Just use your head and common sense and you should navigate this well for your son based on his grade, strength, size and bat speed.
Go to Top of Page

6bomber

68 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  20:47:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thanks for the input. we'll probably start with a drop 7 and work from there.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Georgia Travel Baseball - NWBA © 2000-22 NWBA Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000